Top Affairs News | When Is Independence Day 2021
The Independence Day is widely known on Assumption per annum to commemorate India’s freedom from British rule out 1947. After independence, India became the world’s largest democracy after the united kingdom Parliament passed the Indian Independence Act, 1947, transferring legislative sovereignty to the Indian Constituent Assembly.
The india independence day also marks the anniversary of undivided India’s partition into India and Pakistan.
On the eve of India’s india independence day, Nehru , the then Prime minister, had said in his ‘Tryst with destiny’ speech: “At the stroke of the midnight hour, when the planet sleeps, India will aware of life and freedom.”
What happens on Independence Day?
Every year, the Prime Minister of India hoists the ensign at Delhi’s Red Fort and makes an address to the state , which is followed by a military parade. The President of India also delivers the ‘address to the nation’ speech. In honour of the occasion, twenty-one gun shots are fired.
This day is observed as a legal holiday across India, with offices, banks and post offices remaining closed. Independence Day is observed with flag-hoisting ceremonies, parades and cultural events altogether Indian states and Union Territories.
Preparations for the Independence Day start a month beforehand . Schools and colleges organise cultural events, competitions, debates, speeches, and quiz competitions.
Background of the Independence Day
India’s struggle for independence started in 1857 with the Indian Mutiny in Meerut and it gained momentum after the primary war . In 20th century, under the leadership of Gandhi , the Indian National Congress (INC) and other political organisations launched a state independence movement and revolt against the oppressive British rule.
During the Second war in 1942, the Indian Congress launched the Quit India Movement demanding an end to British rule which prompted colonial rulers detaining many campaigners, nationalists, and ministers including Gandhi.
During the partition of India in 1947, violent riots, mass casualties, and displacement of nearly 15 million people happened amid religious violence.
15 Independence Day Quotes To Celebrate Freedom!
1. Freedom is never dear at any price. It is the breath of life. What would a man not pay for living?
2. Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed.
3 . Let freedom reign. The sun never set on so glorious a human achievement.
4. They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
5. The preservation of freedom is not the task of soldiers alone. The whole nation has to be strong.
6. You can’t separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom.
7. Freedom lies in being bold.
8. Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.
9. The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
10. Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.
11. So long as you do not achieve social liberty, whatever freedom is provided by the law is of no avail to you.
12.We gain freedom when we have paid the full price.
13. Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it.
14. Freedom is nothing but a chance to be better.
15. We want deeper sincerity of motive, a greater courage in speech, and earnestness in action.